Auckland Short Driving Tours
Explore Auckland and Beyond By Car
Auckland Region Day-By-Day Tour (2-7 Days)
With so much to do in the area surrounding Auckland city, we have devised this tour based around specific 'days out' so you can tailor your tour to your own interests and time. As these destinations are out of the city, we recommend either using a rental car or vehicle or local tour operators as the easiest ways to travel. See our advice for driving in Auckland and New Zealand.
- Golf – Less than an hour's drive from central Auckland, golfers can visit the Formosa Auckland Country Club or Titirangi Golf Course for a superb day of golf. Formosa's golf course was designed by New Zealand golf professional Sir Bob Charles and is a challenging 6,633 metre, par 72 course. Titirangi is a world-class golf course designed by Dr Alister MacKenzie, who went on to design some of the world’s top courses including Augusta, Cypress Point and Royal Melbourne.
- Wine - Visit the wine regions of Matakana, Waiheke Island (one of the country's most prestigious boutique wine regions), Kumeu region or the Matua Valley. You'll enjoy some of the region's most beautiful countryside en route as well as finding some lovely restaurants to visit. A perfect wine-and food-afficianados day out.
- Geography – Drive to the so-called Sulphur City and experience the unique geothermal region of Rotorua. Populated by geysers, hot pools, mud pools and an unmistakeable smell of sulphur. It's also home to seventeen lakes and is well-known for fishing, hiking and mountain-biking opportunities.
- Natural science – Whether scientist or curious visitor, the unique glowworms inhabiting the Waitomo Caves are well-worth visiting. Formed over 30 million years, these limestone caves are a delight to explore. The gloworm colonies are best viewed by boat.
- Beaches – If you love beaches, then head to the Coromandel Peninsula, home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the country including Cathedral Cove, Hahei Beach and the famous Hot Water Beach.
- Food – Think you might enjoy some time drinking world-class wine and savouring fresh food at local farmers' markets and restaurants? Then the 'foodie' destination of Napier is for you. You can also enjoy its heritage trails, art décor, water parks and the world's largest gannet colony.
- Sailing – You can take a tour, a charter or if you've got the time, a sailing course and learn from some of the best sailors in the world. Courses in the Auckland area include learning to sail, becoming crew competent, qualifying as a day or coastal skipper.
- Family Days Out – View our suggestions for Auckland days out with the family.
Auckland Short Local Tour (3 Days)
Auckland - Waiheke – Orewa - Auckland
Forget about a car rental for this trip. Simply leave Auckland on a ferry bound for Waiheke Island and you'll be able to visit beaches, restaurants, vineyards and artists' studios using the local transport. Accommodation is available on the island if you want to stay the night. Alternatively, you may want to head north to Warkworth and visit the beach town of Orewa, local wineries, cafes and conservation parks.
Auckland Short Discovery Tour (4 Days)
Auckland – Rotorua - Taupo - Auckland
Head to Taupo and discover geothermal parks and caves. In Hamilton, board a boat for a peaceful cruise down the Waikato River. Visit steamy Rotorua and the gloworms of Waitomo before you head back to Auckland.
Auckland Short Northern Tour (5 Days)
Auckland – Bay of Islands - Kaitaia - Auckland
With more time on your hands, you can really enjoy Northland and explore the coastline including: the Hauraki Gulf, Whangarei, Bay of Islands, Cape Reinga and Ninety Mile Beach. You'll also discover ancient kauri forest, lakes and local attractions.
The staff at Scenic Hotel Auckland can assist with booking rental vehicles, activities and accommodation at any of the hotels in our group.