Auckland Tours & Day Trips
One Day Sightseeing Tours from Scenic Hotel Auckland
The Scenic Hotel Auckland's central location in Queen Street really comes into its own if you only have one day to experience and explore the best of Auckland. Many of the staff at our hotel are Auckland locals, so we've turned to them to put together a few one-day sightseeing tour ideas. If none of these appeal, don't forget you can ask the staff in person for some suggestions during your stay.
Auckland One Day Tour – For Culture Vultures
This tour incorporates a few ideas for those who want to find out more about the unique blend of European, Maori, Pacific and international cultures that make up Auckland's 'people' landscape.
- Breakfast – Sit back and relax in the MLC Café & Bar at the Scenic Hotel Auckland in Queen Street for an a la carte or buffet breakfast
- Morning – Visit to the Auckland Museum including a guided tour of the artefacts and exhibits, followed by the 11am Maori performance.
- Lunch – Head to the historic Ferry Building on Quay Street for a seafood lunch with a great view of the harbour.
- Afternoon – Spend a relaxing couple of hours at the Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, the home of the visual arts in New Zealand and explore over 15,000 artworks.
Auckland One Day Tour – For Families
It can get expensive entertaining the whole family for a day, so we've put together an option that includes a big-ticket outing as well as free fun for everyone.
- Breakfast - Energise every member of the family with breakfast at the MLC Café & Bar for a big day out in Auckland that doesn't include pounding the pavements. (We suggest taking a picnic if the weather looks fine so you don't waste too much time inside a cafe or restaurant).
- Morning – Head to Auckland Zoo to see over 700 animals including elephant, emu, wallabys, kangaroos, kiwi and tuatara. If you want to spend the day here, the children can be Junior Keepers for the day (prior bookings required) or join in small group 'close-up' animal encounters.
- Lunch – Picnic at the zoo or at the reserve in Mount Eden Domain.
- Afternoon – An afternoon spent exploring Mount Eden can be lots of fun.You (and the kids) can scramble up the sides of Mt Eden creating your own tracks through the grass, play football and run off any extra energy at the playground, complete with flying fox (drinking fountain and toilets).
Auckland One Day Tour – For Shoppers
Think practical and wear your pumps or comfy flats for one big day of shopping in Auckland. We've three main shopping areas in mind – Parnell, Newmarket and Ponsonby – perfectly posh (and not so posh.)
- Breakfast – Serious shopping needs stamina, so before setting off enjoy a delicious breakfast in the MLC Café & Bar downstairs at the Scenic Hotel Auckland, Queen Street.
- Morning - While your legs are still fresh, take a morning walk to Parnell for some up-market village-style shopping including boutiques, craft shops and some of Auckland's leading jewellers.
- Lunch – Choose from one of the forty restaurants in Parnell – menus are varied and stiff competition means that the chefs, the menus and the cuisine are world-class.
- Afternoon – Newmarket is the fashion capital of New Zealand and here you can shop until you drop in boutiques, high street stores and in one of the country's largest shopping malls.
- Evening – Even if you have had enough of the shops, it's worth lingering in Ponsonby to enjoy the eclectic mix of bars, pubs and dance clubs.