Auckland Family and Kids Activities
Fun Things To Do With Kids in Auckland
When you have all of Auckland as your playground while staying at Scenic Hotel Auckland it can be hard to decide exactly where to go and what to do with the kids in tow. Rather than waste time poring over your guidebooks and browsing the Internet while the kids kick up their heels in our hotel rooms (as nice as they are), let our top 10 picks help get you out and about.
Top 10 Things To Do with Kids in Auckland
- Auckland Zoo - See over 700 animals including elephant, emu, wallabys, kangaroos, kiwi and tuatara. If you want to spend the day here, the children can be Junior Keepers for the day (prior bookings required) or join in small group 'close-up' animal encounters. Special events and tours are also available. (View more about Auckland Zoo.)
- Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World - View New Zealand’s only sub-Antarctic penguins, enjoy a unique snowcat ride and walk through a replica of Scott’s Antarctic hut. Get the kids up close to giant stingrays, sharks, turtles, giant rays, crayfish, seahorses, octopus, piranha and moray eels. (View more about Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World.)
- Rainbow’s End – New Zealand's premier theme park which will delight the kids (of all ages) with bumper boats, mini golf, pirate ship, maze, indoor games, log flume, dodgems, kiddie cars, space shuttle, children's playground, rollercoasters, family karts and Gold Rush ride. For the under 5s, there's a carousel, dragon's flight, and Castle Land, for the under 8s, the Car Wash Convoy, whilst older children and adults may enjoy the adrenalin-charged Fear Falll, Power Surge, Jumpin Star and Invader rides. (View more about Rainbow's End.)
- Mt Albert Aquatic Centre – Whatever the weather, you can jump into the car and head up to Mt Albert to take a dip,play in the toddler's pool, make a splash and whizz down a slide at one of New Zealand's largest and most popular water parks. (View more about Mt Albert Aquatic Centre.)
- Tree Adventures – Gather up your little monkeys for a short drive out of Auckland to Tree Adventures in Woodhill Forest. Here even novices can swing through the trees on one of nine different adventure courses that wind their way through the treetops. The flying fox ride brings everyone back to earth again. (View more about Tree Adventures.)
- MOTAT – A great option on a rainy day is the Museum of Transport and Technology. With its interactive, fun and stimulating environment, children of all ages can be entertained for hours here. View more about MOTAT.)
- Sheepworld – You may have heard that there are 8 sheep for every person in New Zealand, so you'll have to visit these woolly inhabitants during your stay. About 40 minutes north of Auckland's Harbour Bridge lies Sheepworld, which gives visitors of all ages an insight into how sheep are farmed in New Zealand. Educational fun including daily sheepdog shows and sheep sheering. (View more about Sheepworld.)
- Stardome – A perfect outing for little stargazers (aged over 4) is a visit to the Stardome Observatory Planetarium, one of Auckland's most popular attractions. You and your kids can find out how telescopes work and learn about the history of spaceflight and man’s endeavours to explore space. Nearby Cornwall Park includes Maori archaeological sites, playgrounds, BBQ's, walking tracks, and a working farm. (View more about Stardome.)
- Paradise Ice Skating – If it's not available near your home, why not give the kids a chance to take to the ice for some indoor ice-skating fun? For children over 3 and helmets are advised for children under 6. Take your warm clothes and gloves if you've packed them. (View more about Paradise Ice Skating.)
- Auckland Beaches – You've got 28 beaches to choose from on the Auckland isthmus, many with children's playgrounds, picnic areas and toilet facilities. Particularly popular with families are: Browns Bay, Campbells Bay, Castor Bay, Cheltenham, Long Bay, Milford, Murrays Bay, Narrow Neck and Rothesay Bay.